Purchasing Agent 2 (Technology), UCP 8
Search #: 493890
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
Categories: Academic Programs and Services
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice President for University Business Services & Chief Procurement Officer and/or his/her designee, and working within a team structure, this position will support the technology needs of the University for all campuses, including UConn Health in Farmington.
Primary responsibilities of a Purchasing Agent 2 include, but are not limited to, utilize existing policies, procedures and statutes to plan, develop and organize all phases of assigned responsibilities for bidding, negotiating and assisting with contracting of complex and routine purchases covering all areas of technology including, but not limited to, audio visual, telecom, IT hardware, software, peripherals and/or other assigned commodities requiring specialized technical expertise, as well as ability to maintain knowledge and understanding of industry standards and trends to ensure the technical needs of the campus community are met.
For more information about this position and a full job description, please visit https://procurement.uconn.edu/.
- Bachelor’s degree in technology, computer science, business or discipline appropriate to assigned commodities and four (4) years professional experience in a comparable environment OR equivalent combination of education and related professional experience which totals a minimum of eight (8) years in a comparable environment.
- Knowledge of contract law, accounting, finance, and marketing as they relate to purchasing federal and state statutes.
- Thorough working technical knowledge of technology commodities and services.
- Strong background and understanding of procurement delivery methods, strategies, industry standards and local and regional trends.
- Ability to assess organizational needs, communicate those needs to the supplier/vendor community, evaluate services and products to determine technical compliance and resolve discrepancies.
- Ability to analyze data, business and market trends and recommend solutions.
- Experience working with suppliers/vendors, engineers, consultants, and staff to manage expectations, and identify and remove barriers that are impeding progress and/or performance.
- Knowledge and proficiency in technical products/services proposal analysis, commodity forecasting, quality assessment and value analysis.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated decision making skills and the ability to facilitate decisions that set priorities, resolve conflict, and drive results.
- Demonstrated ability and supervisory skills to train less experienced procurement staff.
- Strong computer experience in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Project and Outlook.
- Demonstrated integrity and ability to act without consideration of personal gain and take prompt action in the case of unprofessional and unethical behavior.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain constructive, professional relationships with a wide variety of individuals.
- Dependable transportation and ability to travel.
- Advanced degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business or related discipline appropriate to assigned commodities.
- Familiarity with the following software applications: Jaggaer (eProcurement Solution) and KFS (Kuali Financial Systems).
- Strong accounting skills with experience monitoring and reconciling accounts/purchase order balances.
- Experience and strong understanding of the requirements associated with competitive bidding processes, i.e. Requests for Proposals (RFP’s), Sole Source Justifications, etc.
- Current knowledge of State of CT General Statutes, Federal Regulations, and University Procurement Policies and Procedures.
- Familiarity with Gartner.
This is a full-time position based in Storrs, Connecticut. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn and a highly desirable work environment. Salary is dependent upon education, qualifications, and experience.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, Search #2020293. Interested candidates please include a cover letter, detailed resume, and contact information for three professional references, including one from current place of employment.
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2020293)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 16, 2019.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time