Access Services Associate (UCP 5- University Library Assistant 2)
Search #: 493839
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
The UConn Library is seeking two Access Services Associates to provide excellent customer service at the Homer Babbidge Library’s Information Desk (iDesk), the primary customer service point on the Plaza Level of the Homer Babbidge Library. The Access Services Associates work collaboratively to create a culture of hospitality for all UConn Library stakeholders, including students, faculty, staff, and members of the public. The successful candidates will each provide coverage for either the day or evening iDesk rotation, working in conjunction to both provide a consistent user experience and oversee the work of iDesk student employees. As an active member of the Academic Engagement area’s Access Services unit, both positions function under the general direction of and report to the Head of Access Services and contribute to the advancement of the UConn Library through collaboration with colleagues and a proactive approach to supporting and coordinating user-focused services. Along with all UConn Library personnel, the successful candidate makes a positive contribution to a culture of inclusion and respect in all interactions within the Library and across the University and exemplifies the UConn Library values of kindness and trust, curiosity and inquiry, equity and inclusion, and having fun.
Day Access Services Associate
Monday through Friday, 7:15 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. for the Academic Year, Recess/Summer Session, and Winter Session Periods
Evening Access Services Associate
Sunday through Thursday 3:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. for the Academic Year. Recess/Summer Session hours will be Sunday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Winter Session hours will be Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Monday to Thursday from to 1:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Please go to https://registrar.uconn.edu/academic-calendar/ to see the University’s Academic Calendar schedule.
UConn is one of the top public research universities in the nation, with more than 30,000 students pursuing answers to critical questions in labs, lecture halls, and the community. Knowledge exploration throughout the University’s network of campuses is united by a culture of innovation. An unprecedented commitment from the State of Connecticut ensures UConn attracts internationally renowned faculty and the world’s brightest students. A tradition of coaching winning athletes makes UConn a standout in Division l sports and fuels our academic spirit. As a vibrant, progressive leader, UConn fosters a diverse and dynamic culture that meets the challenges of a changing global society.
The main 4,400-acre campus is set in a university town located in the rural heart of Connecticut; approximately a half hour’s drive from Hartford, 90 minutes from Boston, and 3 hours from New York. Storrs offers New England village charm, with outstanding recreational facilities and open space initiatives, farm to table agricultural communities, and excellent public schools.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty, and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians, and salutatorians who make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top public research universities.
UConn’s faculty and staff are a critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITITES
For Both Appointments
- Provides superior customer service at the iDesk to all members of the UConn community. Staffs the iDesk independently, ensuring iDesk coverage across gaps in student worker coverage or student worker absence during assigned rotation.
- Leads, trains, and supervises student employees serving at the UConn Library iDesk.
- Provides information assistance and referrals as necessary at the iDesk.Provides circulation services for books, media, and technology.Resolves questions and issue related to bills, fines, or overdue items.
- Co-manages the UConn Library’s room reservation system and technology lending at the iDesk.
- Creates and maintains content for UConn Library web pages related to Access Services functions, including lending information, hours, calendar, etc.
- Collaborates and coordinates with Facilities and Security staff in building and security related items, relaying community and specific user needs as appropriate.
- Participates in unit, area, and library ongoing assessment of access services work-flow and range/quality of service
- May participate in chat reference services and/or project based work.
- Serves as an Ad Hoc Essential/Emergency Support Services Staff for the UConn Library.
Additional Responsibilities for Day Access Associate
- Opens the iDesk during assigned rotation (Monday through Friday) as the academic schedule requires.
- Coordinates borrowing materials processing and manages shelving operations for the Homer Babbidge Library.
- Collaborates and coordinates with Interlibrary Services with regard to Interlibrary Services materials and processes.
Additional Responsibilities for Evening Access Associate
- Closes the iDesk during assigned rotation (Sunday through Thursday) as the academic schedule requires.
- Creatively fosters student engagement with the UConn Library, serving as liaison to the Library Student Advisory Board.
- Collaborates with colleagues across the Library to develop and staff programming in support of student engagement and success.
Shared Expectations for Student Supervisors
- Hires, schedules, trains, and supervises student employees.
- Determines work assignments and provides feedback to each student employee.
- Approves student timecards and resolves time reporting and/or student payroll issues in a timely manner.
- Manages student employment budget, providing allocation requests and ensuring student payroll expenditures remain within approved budget.
- Maintains current student employee personnel records.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures as outlined in the UConn Library Student Employee Handbook and the UConn Student Employment Guide.
Shared Expectations for All Staff
- Participates in planning and actively contributes to Area and Unit priorities, initiatives, and operations through collaboration and cooperation.
- Demonstrates reliable and effective written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Maintains currency and open communication in ongoing trends and developments related to position responsibilities.
- Works effectively in current office applications, software, and communication tools as set by the UConn Library and the University of Connecticut.
- Exhibits appreciation of, sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse working environment, inclusive of social, economic, cultural, ideological, gender, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Performs duties parallel to position responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of one year related experience or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Superior customer service skills and a demonstrated commitment to customer service.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to provide excellent student supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and deadlines.
- Strong collaboration, oral and written communication, interpersonal, and creative problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to maintain accurate records with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team-based environment and be flexible in approach to problem solving and recommending, implementing, and supporting solutions.
- Demonstrated willingness to develop new skills and knowledge.
- Previous experience working in an academic library.
- Knowledge of library systems, preferably the ExLibris Alma ILS and Springshare.
- Demonstrated knowledge/proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of products or a similar software application package.
- Demonstrated ability to instruct and train individuals and groups.
This is a full-time position based in Storrs, Connecticut. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn and a highly desirable work environment. Salary is dependent upon education, qualifications, and experience.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions, Search #2020307. For full consideration, please submit a cover letter, detailed resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Nominations and inquiries should be sent in confidence to email@example.com. To ensure full consideration, inquiries and applications should be submitted by December 15, 2019.
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2020307).
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 15, 2019.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time