Sponsored Programs Faculty Payroll Accruals Specialist 1/2 (Program Specialist 1 or 2), UCP 6 or 7
Search #: 493560
Work type: Full-time
Location: Storrs Campus
The Office of the Vice President for Research, Sponsored Program Services (OVPR SPS), invites applications for the position of Sponsored Programs Faculty Payroll Accruals Specialist (open rank, Program Specialist 1 or 2, UCP 6 or 7), to join our growing sponsored research administration Team!
Under the direction of designated supervisor, the Sponsored Program Services Faculty Payroll Accruals Specialist oversees the University payroll accrual process for all 9- and 10- month faculty. S/he reviews bi-weekly payroll and accrual transactions throughout the academic year; examines HR and Payroll changes (ex. salary, FTE and appointment changes) that impact the accrual calculations; determines and recalculates new accrual rates as necessary; reviews payroll cost transfers and prepares accounting entries to adjust accruals as appropriate; and maintains detailed accounting records to ensure accuracy and consistent implementation of the faculty payroll accruals.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Utilizes financial and other systems to monitor accounts, to identify problems with payroll and/or financial transactions; determines most suitable financial procedures or course of action to resolve issues or take corrective action.
- Analyzes controls and operational mechanisms to assure payroll/fiscal transactions are in compliance with proper accounting procedures, applicable laws and regulations.
- Prepares detailed reports and analyses to monitor payroll activities impacting sponsored projects.
- Independently processes a high volume of payroll accrual corrections/adjustments, and related transactions.
- Serves as a resource to departments in interpreting related policies, regulations and statutes.
- Monitors sponsored research awards, contracts, etc., and ensures documentation to substantiate individual transactions.
- Supervises the establishment and maintenance of sponsored research-related payroll and accounting records to assure accuracy and controls.
- Reconciles and verifies, accounts; verifies, prepares and interprets financial documents, such as balance sheets and financial statements, to reflect account conditions.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and 2 to 4 years progressively responsible accounting or related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of sound accounting practices and principles.
- Ability to work independently and resolve complex accounting problems.
- Ability to write comprehensive reports and communicate effectively with a wide variety of university, government and banking officials and the public.
- Excellent organizational skills to effectively multi-task to meet deadlines and troubleshoot problems.
- Significant experience processing financial transactions.
- Experience processing payroll transactions.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others in a diverse work environment.
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
Additional Minimum Qualifications to be considered for Sponsored Programs Faculty Payroll Accruals Specialist 2 (Program Specialist 2), UCP 7 Level:
- Master’s degree in accounting and 3 to 5 years’ accounting experience.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills.
For Both Levels:
- Experience working with payroll or HR records.
- Experience with Kuali Financial System (KFS) or PeopleSoft Human Capital Management (HCM).
- Knowledge of SQL or other reporting tool for running queries and analyzing data.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
This is a 35-hour per week, full-time, 12-month permanent position, with an excellent benefits package including medical and retirement, as well as employee and dependent tuition reimbursement at the University of Connecticut (outlined here: https://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/).
Applications must be submitted online via UConn Jobs (https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs/), Staff Positions, Search #493560. Please submit a cover letter and resume demonstrating how the qualifications and requirements of the position are met, and contact information for three professional references. Inquiries may be addressed to Laurie Pudlo, Administrative Manager, at email@example.com.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on January 31, 2020.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time